Throughout this short little series on setting business goals, I’ve mentioned the importance of writing said goals down. That isn’t just because it’s easy to forget. There’s a lot more to it and there are some very important reasons why you have to write them down. I though in today’s blog post, I’d share my thoughts on this and hopefully inspire you to write down your own goals going forward. By the way, this works for any type of goal, not just the business ones.
The simple act of setting a goal, even if it’s just in your mind, doubles your chances of success. That’s a pretty big deal in itself, isn’t it? If you take it a step further, and actually write those goals down, you’re 10 times as likely to succeed. Read that last line again
There are a few different mental and psychological processes going on here that start to give us a glimpse into why it is so important and effective to write our goals down. The first is that it’s a lot easier to remember something that we’ve written down. You’ve experienced this first hand with your grocery list. When you make a mental list of 10 or 15 things, you’re likely to forget about half of them when you get to the store. If you write out the list on the other
Last but not least, when you write down your goals, you have something you can review regularly. This adds another layer of cognitive processing and increases your chances of success even further. Sadly, only a very small percentage of people make the time to regularly review and evaluate their goals. The ones that do are some of the most successful and highest achieving people out there. In other words, it’s something we should do as well.
To recap, start by setting smart goals.
- Write them down in as much detail as possible.
- Set aside some time to review them regularly. This could be weekly, or even daily.
- Give it a try for this coming quarter. Set yourself a goal.
- Be specific. This could be something like finally creating that first paid product or adding an extra $500 to your bottom line.
- Decide by when you’ll reach your goal and how you plan to get there.
- Write it all down and look at it every morning. This will help you stay on track and make time in your busy day to work on making progress towards your goal.
If you want to join the email portion of this series enter your info below:
I’m Richetta, your Visual Brand & Business Strategist, coffee enthusiast, digital geek and lover of all things grand. I pride myself in connecting with my clients and pulling out the greatness that is already there and implementing into their visual brand.